Sheep Technician Nucleus Flock (2-year fixed term)
Based from Southfield Farm, Scottish Borders
Innovis is looking for a sheep technician to join our team in the Scottish Borders. The role will be based at Southfield, our nucleus breeding farm, 4 miles south of Hawick. The work will encompass data recording 1,200 nucleus flock ewes, 400 female replacements at Southfield and a further 500 rams on growing units near Canobie.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a small dynamic team involved in cutting edge research, developing new traits, and using modern technology such as EID, DNA parentage assignment, CT scanning, Feed Efficiency Measuring, Portable Accumulation Chambers (PAC for measuring methane), wool micron testing and lots more.
The post will work alongside the Shepherd and report to the Farm Manager at Southfield. Some days of the week will require travel to Canobie to assist the Ram Growing Manager.
Key Responsibilities (after training and experience in the role):
- Assist with annual data capture in the nucleus flock with EID equipment including outdoor lambing responsibilities in April.
- To manage all data capture associated with the ‘Breed for CH4nge’ and ‘GrassCheck GB’ projects at Southfield:
– Set up and record feed intake data on batches of lambs annually.
– Assist with rumen sampling animals for micro-biome analysis.
– To undertake regular grass height measurements (using a plate meter) and data input.
- To assume responsibility for all legislative record keeping at Southfield and affiliated holdings
– Livestock movement records.
– Medicine and treatment records.
– Farm Assurance records.
- To assist with Shepherding and General Farm Work
– To check livestock every third weekend (part days).
- To assist with ram growing and sales at Midlands & Greenknowe Farms, Canonbie
– Assist with preparation and operations of Ram Selection Days and Sales.
– To assist with ram sale administration, movement records, reconciliations, and deliveries
- Assisting with data capture across Scotland and the North of England
– To assist with Ram Selection Days and Auction Mart Sales across the region.
– To assist in health screening Innovis breeding partner flocks.
We place a strong emphasis on growing people and training will be provided for the key elements of the role and for personal development.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent animal husbandry & technical skills
- Excellent data handling & Excel skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills to deal effectively with farmers, stakeholders, and team members.
- A degree or equivalent qualification.
- A full clean driving license and trailer towing certificate – towing training/test will be provided through Innovis if required.
The post will involve travel between Hawick and Canonbie and some limited travel throughout the UK. Whilst some long days will be required, the salary is based on normal hours of 36.5hrs/week. Hours above the normal day will be given as time off in-lieu (TOIL) during the quieter months or paid as overtime as required.
The post is offered with a salary of around £20,000pa in the first instance and a 4% contribution to the Company’s Stakeholder Pension Scheme. A pool car is provided for all work-related travel.
The remuneration package can be adjusted subject to experience and finding the right person.
Please call our main office on 01970 828236 if you would like to chat about the role in confidence.
To apply, please email a cover letter and CV to Dewi@innovis.org.uk before midnight Sunday 25th February.
Interviews will be held in person at Southfield on Wednesday 6th March with a starting date as soon as possible thereafter.
Derbynnir ceisiadau Cymraeg a Saesneg.