Sheep Technician (2-year fixed term)
Based from Aberystwyth
Innovis is seeking a well-organized and versatile individual with a can-do attitude and excellent animal husbandry and technical skills to assist in delivering our ultrasonic scanning and methane measurement service. The role is based in our Aberystwyth office with extensive travelling to customer farms. The role will also include data capture across Innovis breeding partner farms and ram growing units.
Reporting to Technical Services Manager, Ros Price, the successful candidate will work alongside our young dynamic Production/Breeding Program Team.
- Muscle and backfat scanning across the UK.
- Methane measuring using our Portable Accumulation Chambers trailer across the UK.
- Collecting DNA samples with EID from Welsh Sheep Genetics Program Project flocks at tailing time (May-June)
- Assisting with Welsh Sheep Genetics Programmer Project farmer workshops
- Training rams for Semen collection
- Assist with monitoring weights and physical structure of Innovis bred rams on grower units across England & Wales
- Assisting with health screening of Innovis breeding partner flocks across England/Wales (Jan-Feb)
- Assist with the technical preparation for Innovis ram sales.
- Some ram deliveries may be required during the season.
We place a strong emphasis on growing people and training will be provided for the key elements of the role and for personal development.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent animal husbandry & technical skills
- Excellent data handling & Excel skills
- Excellent ability to work independently.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills to deal effectively with farmers, stakeholders, and team members.
- A degree or equivalent qualification.
- A full clean driving license and trailer towing certificate – towing training/test will be provided through Innovis if required.
The post will involve travel throughout Wales and the UK with some long days. Hours worked above the normal day will be given as time off in-lieu (TOIL) during the quieter months, Jan – April. The technician may take the TOIL in a continuous block for lambing or travel during this period.
The post is offered with a salary of around £20,000pa in the first instance and a 4% contribution to the Company’s Stakeholder Pension Scheme. A pool car is provided for all work-related travel.
The renumeration package can be adjusted subject to experience and finding the right person.
Please call our main office on 01970 828236 if you would like to chat about the role in confidence.
To apply, please email a cover letter and CV to Dewi@innovis.org.uk before midnight Sunday 25th February.
Interviews will be on Tuesday 12th March at Aberystwyth with a view to commence the role from the 10th April 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter. There is a requirement for technicians to have a Home Office Personal License, the training and accreditation for which will be conducted in April.
Derbynnir ceisiadau Cymraeg a Saesneg.